Preface: A few weeks ago, Mom had extensive foot surgery and was sentenced to a wheel chair for 2 months. I asked her to send me her TOP 10 things she 'disliked' about her wheelchair, or on a more positive spin, 10 things she couldn't wait to do when she got out.
The little poet wrote it beautifully:
Aging Wheel Chair StyleThe first time I ever thought about a wheel chair
Was seeing Mother Evelyn sitting in one,
Well, I had a small inkling that down the road
I might one day be sitting in one
But I quickly banished that thought from my mind.
Foolish prideful girl that I am
I would also be learning to maneuver my self
In one of those chairs for the aged.
But I am not aged I screamed to my inner self
You may think that but none the less
You are not going to be walking around free as a bird
Your days for the next two months will be
Either sitting, lying down or taking a walk
In the wheelchair.
There are many lessons to be learned
In a brief span of time
And one of them is learning to overcome Pride,
That baneful parasite to the soul.
It depletes sensitivity, compassion and wisdom.
And a wheelchair is the vehicle of choice
That can purify those feelings right out of your heart.
Now and from on forever, when I see a dear soul
Riding around in chair on wheels, I will wince
And think back, remember, and offer to this new
Kindred spirit, my hand or a smile of comfort
And kind sympathy…..this whole aging bit
Is the scene that must be portrayed with all
The courage
That an actor on this mortal stage can give.
The ability to smile through tears, and laugh
In spite of awkward faltering steps and being
Thought of as old and ailing when all the while
You hear yourself, “But I am not old, this is
All some what of a very cruel joke. Yet the
Actress in me, says,
“My show must go on and all will be well
In a very short moment, if I can bear it
In quiet dignity.”
Barbara Renouf June 2008
6 comments:
When I was in my md 50's I was in a freak accident. I was run over by the runaway popcorn cart at the county fair and was confined to ride the silver bullet a.k.a the wheelchair for 3 to 6 months. I really feel this woman,Barbara's pain. She writes of ones trials in the chair so elaboratly, and graceful, She sounds so graceful. I bet even her shadow follows her around the house with grace, one slow turn of the wheel at a time. The line,"Now and from on forever, when I see a dear soul Riding around in chair on wheels." Just inspired me, because she is calling me a dear soul, and that lifts me to new heights..the heights only eagles know. Heights only Space Shuttle pilots can dream of. May your chair and you seperate soon is my hope, and yes dear barbara ,"your show must go on." Whther that show is running a marathon or wheel chair basketball in the Special Olympics, your show must go on! I must admit I scoured this piece of literature pot of gold and could not find your ten things, is this a hyku or some sort of secret thing I am supposed to figure out? Thanks again.
Love
Crutches in Casper
Dear reader,
I was rewarded for my contribution to this blog by your insightful renderings. Some writiers get a bit carried away in their pensive moments. I am not sure what you call this kind of blog memoirs. That must be left for others like yourself to solve, I just write them, I can't figure them out either. They are even over my head.....Signed a work in progress
Mom,
I'M SO SORRY! It's sounds miserable! You've borne it well! We're proud of you! It's almost over!
Mom,
Hang in there! We'll go get a pedicure together when this is all over! H
Mom,
Hang in there! We'll go get a pedicure together when this is all over! H
Hey Mom,
It's sounds awful. I'm sorry you have had to go through this but I hope it will be over soon. Take care.
Mary Kate
Post a Comment