Friday, July 4, 2008

American Girl by Barbara Renouf



I AM AN AMERICAN GIRL

I am an American girl
Red white and blue are the
Colors that I like best.
I get chills when I pledge allegiance to the flag
And I love to stand for the Star Spangled Banner Song
I think to cast my ballot every few years
Is a privilege I never want to miss.
Starting from the first pilgrims and Indians
To arrive here, I am glad my parents grand
Sought for a dream and sailed to this land
From those early 13 colonies than to 48 and fifty
Those stars, stripes on our flag
Win my heart every time I see them flying
Each of the fifty states has its own qualities
As well as the different dialects that I hear spoken
By the people whom I share this common heritage
And within me there is a tender center
That grows with love of God,
for my fellow countryman
the land and its precious history
To live under spacious skies, green hills
And see the fields of corn and wheat,
is more than I can ‘ere describe.
Tis a land for me and my kin
I want my Creator to know
That I am above all else
A Grateful American.

4 comments:

Babs Renouf said...

In honor of the day here, we placed our flag on our porch overlooking the river and our two beautiful buntings. If you were here, we would have baked up those delicious cookies. thanks for decorating up my thoughts. Love Dad and Mum

Prudy said...

Oh, MOm and Dad, I hope next year you get to have a fabulous and sparkly fourth of July. I'll tell Laurie to plan a big gigantic party for you. It has been quite a while since you hae been home for this favorite patriotic holiday. I'm sorry that you, the American girl, didn't get to really celebrate. Maybe we could make a big to-do over Labor Day when you're home.:)

Anonymous said...

Mom,
youre an american girl doll! What a cute poem. I hope you can be home for the fourth next year, too! We missed you and Pop,yesterday!

Anonymous said...

Heidi,
Thankyou so much, for hosting the party last night! We had such a great time! You are an excellent hostess! Thankyou! Thankyou! Thankyou! We can't wait to do it all again on the 24th!